FRCPath Part II (virology)
This exam comprises both written and practical components. Further information is available from the College website https://www.rcpath.org/trainees/examinations/examinations-by-specialty/virology.html
- Paper 1 Section A: 90-min essay paper
- Two compulsory questions, one on a clinical virology topic and one (out of a choice of two) on a management issue relevant to Medical Virology practice.
- Paper 1 Section B: 90-min SAQ paper
- Nine compulsory short answer questions with topics from the curriculum.
- Paper 2: 120-min critical appraisal paper (choose 2 of 3 options)
- Articles covering clinical, laboratory and epidemiological aspects of virology.
- Assessing understanding of study design and methodologies, study objectives, data interpretation and understanding of the correct use of statistics, awareness of limitations, potential bias and confounding factors and the implications of the findings of the papers.
1-day OSPACE = Objective Structured Practical and Clinical Examination
- Section 1: 90-min exam including 15 questions (6-10 minutes each)
- Assessing clinical and laboratory knowledge, diagnostic skill, data interpretation, ability to trouble-shoot and understanding of quality control
- Section 2: 3h exam of extended stations
- Four 30-min practical questions and
- Four 15-min face-to-face verbal questions (1 min to consider the scenario, 10 min verbal examination, 4 min change over).
- Assessing practical skill, laboratory safety, clinical management skill, communication skill with clinical team and with patients and problem-solving skill in laboratory and clinical settings.